How to Ripen Pineapple

March 10, 2012

Last time I was buying a pineapple at Costco, a nice older Asian lady gave me some advice.  She told me that I should choose a pineapple that was uniform in colour (most will be yellower at the bottom and greener at the top).  She said that will help it ripen more evenly and be sweeter.  And the best way to ripen a pineapple?  Put it into a plastic produce bag, tie the top (I don't think you want it completely sealed shut), and wait a couple of days.


I figure, if someone stops you from buying your (non-uniform in colour) pineapple, takes your pineapple out of your hands, passes you a new one with a plastic bag to put it in, they must know what they are talking about.  And do you know what?  It totally worked.  It was an awesome pineapple!  Try it!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you! I am so glad I stopped by. I will try that. Now can one 'plant' the top of the pineapple?

Emily said...

I'm trying it next time Carlee! Nancy - yes! You can plant the pineapple top. I read about it in the book "Don't Throw It, Grow It!" which I talk about here: http://themaryfrancesproject.blogspot.com/2011/10/dont-throw-it-grow-it.html

JoDana said...

I hope it's ok that I pinned this. Great tip! Thanks
(I am happy to remove my pin if you prefer just let me know)
:)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yes. You have to cure the bottom of it for about 1 to 2 weeks and some shallow water and then you plant it about an inch deep into the ground once the bottom is cured kind of like a cactus it will take two years for the plant to mature and start bearing fruit but after that you'll get them every 3 to 6 months

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...