How to Entertain a Toddler

January 14, 2012

I feel like my baby suddenly turned into a toddler overnight.  I'm pretty sure this was a gradual process, but all of a sudden she's running around, talking, and needing more than a rattle and some finger food for entertainment.  Where did my baby go?  Bah!

Toddlers love to empty and fill containers, so to keep my little one busy, I made a toy from an old formula can.  (Any container with a plastic lid will do.)


I washed and dried the container, and then cut a smallish hole in the lid.  Then I looked for something small, but not too small that could be easily dropped inside.  Obviously, you don't don't want your toddler playing with a choking hazard.  Use your judgement here, please!  Clothespins fit the bill at my house, but you could also use pom poms, balled up paper, or large dried noodles. 

I set the container in front of my daughter with the pile of clothespins next to her, and demonstrated a few times that I could drop them inside.  The clothespins make a nice ting sound which is pretty fun too.  My little one LOVED dropping each clothespin in.  This activity proved to be just right - not too easy, not too hard.  When full, the container turns into an awesome shaker or drum.


Once I realized that this toy would be sticking around for a bit at my house, I decided to cover the can with some paper and packing tape.  It looks a bit nicer than a can of formula sitting on my shelf.

There you have it!  An easy and simple way to entertain a toddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...