New Buttons

November 14, 2011

Over the last few months, I have inherited quite a few second hand baby clothes for the girl that we are expecting next month.  I love free stuff, but I'm also kind of picky about what I like my kids to wear.  I know, beggars can't be choosers, but I still want them to look nice.  Lots of the baby clothes were really cute, others were things that wouldn't choose to put my baby girl in, and some were good basic shapes but had details that I didn't like.  I've taken on lots of small projects working on items from the last category, doing things like taking off collars, unpicking embroidery (with mixed success), taking off ribbon, or changing buttons.

This pair of pants is a good example of how a little change can really improve the way something looks.  I forgot to take a picture before I got started last night (and the lighting would have been horrible anyways), so here you can see the difference between the finished side (left) and the original (on the right).  These pants are a nice chambray, but the flap front kept gaping open and they seemed to be missing a little something.  I hand stitched the front to the sides, and added six buttons to the front.

Now they look like cute little sailor pants.  Much better.  And all it took was a few minutes, a needle and thread, and a few buttons from my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...