Montessori Activities and a Placemat Printable

September 29, 2011

I've started using a Montessori inspired activity book with my four year old daughter.  I checked the book out from the library, and have like it so much that I ordered it online.  Every day I try to do one or two activities from the book with her.  Activities range from life skills, to language, to numeracy.    























One of the life skills presented in the book is table setting.  I was pretty excited to introduce this skill because it is something that my daughter really dislikes doing.  I figured that if I introduced table setting in a positive way, and taught it to her as a skill separate from a job, she would be more likely to want to practice the skill when it came to her suppertime chore.  The Montessori book asked me to make a placemat by tracing a plate, utensils and cup.  I decided to make a digital version, because it looks nicer and is easily duplicated.  And because I liked it so much, I thought I would share it here. 


The Montessori Method of teaching is all about instilling a love of order, and fulfilling the need for children to be independent.  This table setting activity does both.  When I introduced the activity, my daughter worked so hard to place each item perfectly in their correct place.  She has also been loving setting her own spot at the table using the placemat as a guide.


Want to print your own?  Just click on the picture below.


Before making my own placemat, I did a quick Internet search for a suitable table setting template.  I didn't really find anything that I loved, but I did find a super awesome fabric one.  If you are a better sewer than I am, maybe you will attempt it.

Photo via Punkin Patterns




Has anyone used the Montessori or any other method to teach children?  Any successes or suggestions?

1 comment:

Paisley said...

Thanks for sharing this resource! The link for the printable placemat isn't working. Can you help?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...