Healthy Raspberry Peach Crumble

October 2, 2012

For the month of September, I attempted a refined sugar free diet.  I say attempted because I wasn't vigilant with every food, and mainly tried to avoid sweet treats with loads of sugar in them.  I also let my hair down a few times and enjoyed treats on three specific occasions over the month.  I liked this way of living and think I will continue.  My theory is that sugar is not evil, it should just be limited and reserved for special occasions.

I have a major sweet tooth, so I had to work a bit harder to get my sugar fix this past month.  I ate a lot of fruit, but had a few other baked staples that I will continue to make.  This Oatmeal-Raisin Breakfast Cookie recipe is awesome, and this Simple Gourmet Granola is a staple at my house. 

Since October 1st was the first time I was allowed a sugary treat, I indulged and made dessert.  I made a Raspberry Peach Crumble, something that is still healthy enough, I ate the leftovers for breakfast.  I could have made it last month had I substituted the sugar in the topping for maple syrup.  I served it with ice cream, but I think it would taste awesome with a creamy thick yogurt.

 
 
Raspberry Peach Crumble
(from the Usborne Healthy Cookbook)
 
 
Topping:
 
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
4 T butter
1/2 c. ground almonds
1/4 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. oats
 
Filling:
 
 
14 oz. canned peaches with 4 T of juice reserved
2 c. raspberries
 
 
1. Mix the topping together.
2. Mix the fruit in a 9x9 pan.  Pour 4 T of peach juice over the fruit.
3. Spread the crumble over the fruit.
4. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...