Salt Dough Ornaments

December 13, 2011


























One of the things that I remember most about going to my Grandmother Mary Frances' house, is making salt dough.  Salt dough is an awesome and cheap way to keep kids (and grandkids) entertained.  As a kid, the fact that my grandma baked our creations and let us take them home made me feel so special. 



This is the first time that I have made salt dough as an adult.  I know that it is a classic activity, so I guess it was about time.  My kid #1 and I decided to make ornaments for her friends and preschool classmates.



We rolled the dough flat, and used cookie cutters for the shapes.  She decided on star shape for her preschool friends, and that pig is for herself.


























Once the dough was cooked and cooled, we painted the ornaments with tempera paints. 


























We tied a length of string through each - and ta-da!  Our salt dough ornaments are finished.

Here is how to make your own:

Easy Salt Dough

1 c. salt
1c. flour
1/2 c. water

1. Mix together.  Add more water if needed.
2. Make shapes and bake on foil or parchment lined cookie sheet at 225 for 2 or more hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...