Do you want to start your own Country of the Month Club? Here's how:
1. Decide who to invite to your club. Is it your entire family, just you, you and your significant other, you and your friends or extended family?
2. Get a world map. Each month as you "visit" a country, label it using a method of your choice. We are sticking little pins in each visited place.
|The CIA Worldmap is really great. (Image via the CIA World Factbook website.)|
I printed the 2011 version, but the pdf is interactive and won't load as an image here.
3. At the beginning of each month, choose a new country. (Can be random or meaningful - it's your club, so do what you want.)
4. Decide what you want to do to learn about the country this month. Some ideas include:
- Read a book about the country.
- Read a book by an author from the country.
- Cook a meal native to the country.
- Eat dinner at a restaurant which serves the country's food.
- Learn about the history of the country on Wikipedia.
- Memorize a few facts about the country - capital city, neighbouring countries, leader, population size, major exports, famous citizens, etc.
- Look at art from the country.
- Watch a movie set in the country or made by natives of the country.
- Listen to traditional music from the country.
- Learn a few phrases in the country's language (if it is different from yours).